Hi. New here. Just found out I have PSD

Hi, everyone. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 18 months. I've had two early miscarriages (at 6 weeks). We went through all the infertility testing and we kept coming up healthy (in some cases VERY HEALTHY) on all of our tests. We had ALL the tests done. I was dumbfounded at why we weren't getting pregnant. Anyway, I observe my cycles very carefully and somehow I had the feeling that we were conceiving and getting pregnant but that I wasn't holding it somehow. Last cycle I felt so pregnant and even had abnominal stretching, but I never got a positive HPT, and then my period came. :)

After reading about it on the internet, I called my Reproductive Endocrynologist's office and requested that they send me for the Recurrent Miscarriage blood work panel. He wouldn't do it saying that I needed three miscarriages!!! He totally dismissed what I had to say about me thinking that I am getting pregnant, but something's going wrong at the end. So, THEN I called my gynecologist and asked her if she could send me for it, and she agreed.

I just got my results on Thursday afternoon.

I have a 24.

My gynecologist is referring me now to a Perinatologist. I've been doing tons of internet research since finding out and found this forum.

So, that's me.

I've only known about this for two days. So, I'm probably going to be a post-hog and have tons of questions. :)

How bad is a 24?

What do you think the Perinatologist will do for me?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. On the bright side, it's a good thing that you were diagnosed and it's treatable. I'm also fairly new to this forum and have benefitted from the great support of other women with common experiences.

I lost my baby girl, Umi, at 37 weeks last May. My blood tests indicated that it was mostly due to a late development of PSD during the pregnancy. I got pregnant 6 mths later and am now 20 weeks with another girl. I'm taking Lovenox injections (a mild form of Heprin) and will switch to Heprin at around 35 weeks. I'm also taking a baby aspirin and a calcium supplement, in addition to prenatal vits and iron.

While I'm very happy to be expecting again, it comes with many worries too. I believe having a treatable diagnosis is half the battle. Keep the faith, and I hope that you too with be on the road to expecting again soon.

Warm regards,

Ufasaha :)

Thank you, Umi, for writing to me. It's good to know I'm not alone. :D

It's been 9 days since I got my diagnosis, and I still haven't gotten an appointment with the Perinatologist that my gynecologist is referring me to! In the meantime since finding out about my PSD, I read all 15 pages of this Pregnancy forum, just trying to learn more. Okay, okay, I didn't read them ALL, but I skimmed through all of them trying to pick out the important stuff that I need to know! :(

While I wait for my appointment, I've been self-medicating myself with a baby aspirin each day, 5 mg of folic acid, and a glass of wine per night. I culled that from all these posts on here, so I hope that's it!

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth,

You may have seen the perinatologist already, but one thing you might want to ask about it getting tested for PSD while you're not pregnant, after any post-partum healing. It will give you and your doctors an indicator for where your PSD levels are normally. It will also help them give you a more effective treatment plan when you get pregnant again.

I made the mistake of not doing this, mostly because the pernatologist at the hospital I lost Umi did not recommend it, but then it caused some confusion for my new pernatologist at the onset of my 2nd pregnancy.

I hope everything goes well otherwise and you are doing whatever you need to to heal emotionally and physically.

Always,

Ufasaha