Vitamin E and Ginko Biloba

Hello all. I am 39 years old and recently had a couple of bouts of superficial blood clots, and some cellulites (sp?) My doctor tested me and said that my protein S was low. He did not know much about the condition so he sent me to a hematologist. She diagnosed me with protein s deficiency. She decided that, since I have had no dvt that I do not need any preventative treatment, ie, blood thinners. I do not have a lot of confidence in her knowledge of this condition because when I asked her what type I had she said that she didn't know that there were different types of DPS, but she didn't see how it would make much difference. She did put me on short term Lovanox because I had gal bladder surgery around the same time I was diagnosed with PSD. But I just took my last dose of it today. I will shamefully admit that I am terrified :( of this condition and am VERY worried about going off of Lovanox. The hematologist basically told me that it would take about two separate incidents of deep vain thrombosis before I would be permanently treated with blood thinners. That is assuming that I survive either of these incidents. Is this normal, and can anyone suggests ways of living with this without so much anxiety (which I being medicated for)? And some preventative tips? Thank your for listening.

Kel

If you have not had any incidents of DVTs it is pretty common practice to not put you on a permanent dosage. A lot of people with PSD are asymptomatic and do not need medication. If it makes you feel better, take 400 iu of Vit E and 40 mg of Ginko Biloba to prevent further clots.

I have PSD and PCD and cannot take Wafarin Sodium. In 2005 I had a stroke and the hospital here treated me with 40mg of Ginko, 3 times a day. I have been on it ever since.

400 iu of vit E is the amount our body needs to neutralize any vit k we may intake in foods. 40mg Ginko taken 3 times a day is the hospital recommended dosage to dilute the blood. Please note that Ginko acts more effectively on arteries, it does however reduce platelets in the veins as well.

Ginko is not regulated in USA but it is being used aggressively as an alternative to wafarin sodium and other blood thinners in most parts of the world. Two companies are recognised by hospitals, Tanakan and Blackmores. Both produce a graded dosage of Ginko, ie. 40mg tablets, taken 3 times a day.

I would not take asprin with Ginko if you are taking the proper dosage of ginko, as it will interfere with your ability to clot. The recommended dosage of Ginko is adequate to keep your blood thinned. Please remember, if you are visiting a dentist or need any surgery, you must mention you are on Ginko.

Wow Zarin you certainly are very well informed about protein s etc... How did you find out about all these things? I wish my haematologist was as informative & helpful as you! I am going to start taking both vitamins as I am paranoid about getting a clot. What foods should I avoid when taking them? Is it a prob if people with protein s cut out all vitamin k from their diets? I guess we still need it, but how do we know how much to have ? Oh so many questions!! Anyway thanks for your info! It's nice to know someone knows what they are talking about!!

Two companies are recognised by hospitals, Tanakan and Blackmores. Both produce a graded dosage of Ginko, ie. 40mg tablets, taken 3 times a day.

I was hoping to find one of these brands on the internet but could not find a place to order them If you know of a place please let me know. So far I have only found some off brand from Wallgreens. It is 60mg twice a day in a capsule/powder form. It is the closest I can find to the proper dosage. Thank you Zarin :)

We get both Tanakan and Blackmores OTC in our pharmacies here. I am clueless how you could buy it on the internet. 40mg 3 times a day is the recommended dosage to keep the blood anti-coagulated.

I have been dealing with PSD and PCD for over 20 years. I was forced to do research on alternatives when I became intolerant to Wafarin Sodium. The Ginko thing is very new, but gaining a lot of popularity. I know several people who were on Wafarin Sodium for various reasions and are now on either Tanakan or Blackmores Ginko, and thriving. It has been 2 years for me and I seem to be alright!

As far as foods are concerned. Depending on what blood thinners you are taking, it is important to be consistant with your vit.K intake. I usually avoid cruciferous vegetables and greens(leafy) and hope that the 400 iu of vit E I take will zap the rest, so far so good!