Forum Babies

Please vote in this poll and add your comments  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have photos of babies on www.protein.org.uk?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

I have often considered creating a web page for "Forum Babies"... i.e. photos of the babies of forum members.

However, I don't know whether you think this is a good idea. I don't want to set up the page as a photo sharing service because there are lots of online photo sharing web sites out there that can do that job so much better, e.g. flickr.com, and having lots of photos would impact upon our web hosting arrangements but I'm slightly concerned that it might not be well received by those who are having trouble trying to conceive or have lost their baby.

Please let me know what you think.

Hi James,

I really like the idea of being able to post photos because it would be one more positive thing for those that successfully have babies can share with the rest of us. Ideally, it would be great to designate a place on the forum to do this, similar to the Pregnancy Updates, so that members can view them only by choice, given the sensitivity and highly emotional state of those that have lost their babies or are having trouble conceiving, as you mentioned.

Thanks,

Ufasaha

Thanks Ufasaha. What I would have in mind is receiving the photos by email and then putting together a web page with a well designed layout. The forum software wouldn't be able to lay the pictures out in a clear way and I think some people would have problems figuring out how it would work (I use the same software on other sites). I would like the page to be a source of inspiration and joy and wonder whether it would be a good idea to caption each photo with some additional information; perhaps first name, date of birth, birth weight. It would be very insensitive to ask for additional information about pregnancy history even though it would give the reader a bit more of an insight to the story behind the picture. Perhaps a link to a forum name or something similar might be more sympathetic.

Hi James,

I like the idea of having a photos section. In addition, if parents wish to share their story they can. I realize that it could be a sensitive subject for some, however, if you have it laid out as an option then one would expect to read about successes and possible failures if they chose this link.

I know for me, speaking to people such as Rachel and Maza and learning about their experiences, it helped comfort me with the situation we faced.

Allie

Hi James,

I too like the idea of a forum babies gallery. If it's done in such a way that it does inspire others rather than grieving those who have lost babies due to blood disorders. Perhaps if a positive introduction was done and then attatch a link to each photo where people's history could be written if they wanted. Then a viewer could choose to learn the story behind the baby if they wanted to. I don't know if this is actually possible or even practical, I'm not very technilogically minded, just a suggestion is all.

Cheers, Kathy.

I like this idea too. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that I must be one of the only mums here who has not suffered any losses and I put it down to luck - as I say in my sig. I hope that what I have there doesn't upset anyone. Having a permanent reminder of everyone's successes would be good.

When I had my clot I wanted to know that there were people who had got through it and I think that sharing our positive stories is a big part of what we can do for each other here.

IME people find this forum when they are looking for answers and if by clicking on the forum babies someone feels a flicker of hope for the future when everyone around them is nay-saying and full of negative vibes (been there!) it would be a good thing. One GP told me that I would be risking leaving 3 children motherless if I tried to have a fourth child :lol: . If we post pictures of our babies that is proof that we too are still here and we all got through it.

Rachel, I'm so glad you wrote that!

I was told not to have anymore before Karys and now the docs keep saying things like that to me too. I'm glad I'm not alone and after reading your post, it made me realize how much we DO need to pass on our positive experinces to others. After all, doctors are only going to inform on the risks and dangers and not the joy of bringing a new life into the world despite pain, discomfort and loss. Thanks for removing the small dot of doubt that I had in regards to this being a good idea.

Kathy.

P.S. Don't be embarrassed, you are my hope for my daughters that they might not have the same experiences as me.

If you would like to have a photo of your baby on our web site please email it to me at "info@protein.org.uk".

The main look of the page will be pictures of babies with a small caption for each.

How we develop the page after that depends on the information you send me. Please include any additional information such as date of birth, place of birth, weight, length and perhaps whether it is 1st or 2nd born etc or how many brothers and sister he/she has, age when the photo was taken, or any other useful information. A first name and gender would help too (you can't always tell a baby's gender from their name). None of this information is required.

I won't disclose or link the photo with your forum account unless you want me to.

As a childless woman still trying to get pregnant, I would like to comment.

Yes, I think it's a good idea. It'll have to be something that if I want to view it, I can. If I'm having a bad day (like another birthday) and I'm having depressing thoughts and I choose not to view it, then I won't. Don't plaster it all over the place kind of thing is all I'm trying to say. I think the birth stories are a good idea so that if (or when) I finally do get get pregnant I can read someone's story. Also, I'd be interested in reading the mother's path towards getting pregnant and the care she recieved while pregnant.