PSD and 2nd pregnancy

Hi there. New to this forum and would love some comments or feedback on my particular situation.

I fell pregnant with my little girl in 2004. She was born a few weeks early when I started spotting and passing clots of blood, but it was only about 2-3 weeks earlier than the anticipated date.

During this pregnancy I was on high doses of vitamin B. I have read that with thrombophilia high doses of Vitamin are recommended??

Battled to conceive and we even had a few trips to the fertility clinic to determine if there were any issues we could be missing. I fell pregnant on my own after each lap but both ended in m/c (10 weeks (D&C) and then 8 weeks(natural m/c) - both seemed to start well and then just ended.). My gynae did some blood tests which showed I have PSD. We seem to think this may have been a factor in the m/c, but obviously one can't be 100% sure.

I have now fallen pregnant again (naturally with no help of hormones or a laprascope) and at the very early stages (5wks). I have started with the Clexane.

Was wondering if anyone else had a successful pregnancy and then battled to find they had PSD? And why this is the case (any explanations been offered).

I am a runner and have been told to stay off exercise for first trimester. Can you exercise while on Clexane? I ran up to 7 and a half months of my first pregnancy. I dont need to run marathons, just a daily run or every 2nd day would be nice to maintain?

And any comments on the Vitamin B?

Thanks a lot!!

J

• 4 months later...

I was diagnosed with PSD back in 1996, when I was pregnant with my second child. I was on Lovenox therapy from about the 4th month to postpartum. Im not really sure about Vit B. Back then, PSD was even more rare than it is now. They were kind of running blind with me. I had multiple TIA's before starting Lovenox and a few even after. I never had a blood clot at any point and time. I have been on Coumadin, aspirin, plavix in the past. I currently take Aggrenox and have not had a TIA or any other problems for several years now. Knock on Wood!!! If there is anything else you want to know just send me a message.

Shannon

Along time ago one haematologist told me to take B vitamins and folic acid.

Found this on internet....

'Blood clotting is also slowed down by the presence of the vitamin B6 in sufficient levels in the blood. Supplements of the vitamin B12 along with the folic acid will lower the homocysteine levels in the blood. A balanced combination complex or formula is the best way to take the vitamins B6, B12 and the folic acid as long as supplementation is intended'.

'Homocysteine is an amino acid in the blood. Epidemiological studies have shown that too much homocysteine in the blood (plasma) is related to a higher risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease.

Other evidence suggests that homocysteine may have an effect on atherosclerosis by damaging the inner lining of arteries and promoting blood clots. However, a direct causal link hasn?t been established.

Plasma homocysteine levels are strongly influenced by diet, as well as by genetic factors. The dietary components with the greatest effects are folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12. Folic acid and other B vitamins help break down homocysteine in the body. Several studies have found that higher blood levels of B vitamins are related, at least partly, to lower concentrations of homocysteine. Other recent evidence shows that low blood levels of folic acid are linked with a higher risk of fatal coronary heart disease and stroke'.

I was rather confused by the advice from my haematologist as my problem was PSD not high homocysteine levels! I have since seen a different haematologist who didn't mention anything about taking any vitamins etc.

Hi Janine,

Welcome to the forum! I only joined a few months ago and have found everyone's experiences and knowledge a great help. I hope you find some answers to your questions.

I had a perfectly normal and easy pregnancy with my little boy (aged 3), this was then followed by three miscarriages at 10,10,6 and 8 weeks. It was only in the last pregnancy that I was aware I had PSD and was started on 20mg Clexane at 5 weeks. My Haematologist has never mentioned anything about vitamin B to me but I am due to see him on Friday and so will put the question to him.

Hope everything goes well with the Clexane and this baby.

Best wishes

Claire