Sign in to follow this  
Dee56

Travel insurance

Hi all.

I was diagnosed with DVT about 6 weeks ago. I will be on a coarse of warfarin for 6 months. I will be taking a short break in Spain in September.

Does anybody know if i have to declare my condition for travel insurance? & if i do how much is it likely to affect my premium?

Yes, you will need to declare it or your policy will be void. For a recent history they are unlikely to give you cover for anything thrombosis related, so you would have "thrombosis" excluded. However, it's not quite as bad as it sounds - for example you were to break your leg, then you would be covered for that, even if the treatment is more expensive because of your anti-coagulants. The only thing that isn't covered is if your health issue is directly caused by something thrombosis related.

At a later date, when things are more settled you should be able to declare the history of thrombosis and pay an additional premium to have it covered. Insurers consider that someone with a detected condition that is on medication and stable poses little risk compared to say a person yet to discover they have a medical problem.

Don't forget to check with your doctor about your travel plans and consider the additional risk factors when flying.

This web page may help... http://www.protein.org.uk/airtravel.php

Incidentally, I have been covered with exclusions by Lloyds, and fully covered with a premium by Halifax.

The best way to get travel insurance I've found is to go on the compare websites. They find you great deals. Make sure you check the fine print and I wouldn't recommended the cheapest, but then again weigh all the information up. I'm off to Mexico for two weeks and got my insurance for £45!

I used the Meerkat and found a policy with AllSAFE. I declared all my medical history and have everything covered without any exclusions. The AllSAFE Super Economy Annual Multi-Trip Europe policy cost me £96.42.

What a great price, it's so much easier to get decent cover at a reasonable price on these comparison website. I'm currently trying to convince my grandparents to use them. My nana has PSD and my grandad has other health issues, they are paying over £300 per holiday with company called insurer pink which is a cancer insurance but covers PSD. She was told to use is by a nurse, and until recently won't listen to sense!