High INR

tinasyn

Hi All

I went for my usual INR check at clinic on Tuesday to be told by INR had shot up to 12.2, this is the highest it has ever been. I am usually quite stable but every 5 - 6 months I seem to get really high reading my last episode was about 5 months ago and my reading was 9.5. I had to go along to our A&E and take Vitamin K to reverse the action of the warfarin, but over night I felt really strange, dizzy, pains in back and also i found blood in my urine which shocked me, so went back to A&E and they kept me in overnight I had some more vitamin K and my reading came down to 5.5 yesterday morning, then they retested again later in day and it had come down to 4.2 they let me go home at this point, am returning this morning to clinic to be re-tested hopefully to be re-started on the warfarin and get a normal reading which for me is between 2.0-3.0. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Tinasyn

Hi All

I went for my usual INR check at clinic on Tuesday to be told by INR had shot up to 12.2, this is the highest it has ever been. I am usually quite stable but every 5 - 6 months I seem to get really high reading my last episode was about 5 months ago and my reading was 9.5. I had to go along to our A&E and take Vitamin K to reverse the action of the warfarin, but over night I felt really strange, dizzy, pains in back and also i found blood in my urine which shocked me, so went back to A&E and they kept me in overnight I had some more vitamin K and my reading came down to 5.5 yesterday morning, then they retested again later in day and it had come down to 4.2 they let me go home at this point, am returning this morning to clinic to be re-tested hopefully to be re-started on the warfarin and get a normal reading which for me is between 2.0-3.0. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Tinasyn

Eek! That's high. I've had peaks of about 3 and a bit but nothing higher than that. I know this sounds obvious but have you eaten anything seasonal that has made a difference? I eat more greens in summer than winter and that changes my INR downwards but it is still within range of 2 -3 so they don't change my dose.

I hope you can get stable again soon as I can imagine that blood in your urine is a scary thing to see.