Baby Aspirin Causing Baby Heart Defects

Hi,

It's been a very long time since I've posted here, but this listserv and everyone on it was my lifeline during my 2nd pregnancy with my daughter in 2006-2007. I lost my first baby girl at 36 weeks (named Umi) due to what was later diagnosed as Pregnancy Induced Protein S Deficiency, and luckily got pregnant again soon afterwards.

I was very fortunate to have a wonderful doctor and the best care, and gave birth to a sweet and healthy baby girl 37 weeks later. My daughter is now 6 years old with perfect health, but when she was 6 months her doctor detected a heart murmur. A year and a half later, just before her 2nd birthday, she had open heart surgery to fix a large ASD, which is a essentially a pervasive hole. That too, was very successful and to this day she's had no further physical issues.

However, in my initial research at the time she that was diagnosed, I found something online that said baby aspirin could cause the natural holes in babies' hearts that are there while they're in utero to either close more slowly or not at all after birth. Over the years, this notion has stayed with me, but I never followed up to find out more. Also, her cardiologist, who we nicknamed "Rock Star" because we was absolutely amazing and very handsome couldn't say that the baby aspirin I took during pregnancy was definitively the cause from a medical perspective. And I've always thought that if I had to take the baby aspirin again knowing what I know now to ensure I gave birth to a healthy baby rather than facing another still birth, I would, without question.

If anyone has heard of anything like this or would like to share your experience with me, I'd love to hear more.

-Ufasaha

Hello again!

I don't know about aspirin and heart problems but I know that aspirin isn't necessary if you are injecting LMWH for Protein S Deficiency in pregnancy.

If you were to plan a new pregnancy that would be something to talk about with your OB team and see what their advice is.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter is well. My Frida is going to be seven next week and has had no problems with her health from me injecting LMWH during her pregnancy. Time flies doesn't it?

Rachel

LMWH can be used on its own and is sometimes supplemented with aspirin for pregnancy therapies.

Aspirin tends to work best at preventing arterial clots, whereas PSD tends to create a higher risk of venous clots. The blood chemistry for clots in arteries and veins is different due to the speed of the blood flow. For this reason the benefits of aspirin for prevention of clots caused by PSD isn't particularly strong.

However PSD doesn't just exist on its own, we all have various medical conditions and health considerations and whilst aspirin may not be much use for PSD that's not to say it doesn't have other uses.

• 2 months later...

I took fragmin and asprin during my pregnancy. I started the fragmin at about 7 weeks and I had regular scans to check the flow of blood to the placenta and baby. I can't remember when it was (between 14 and 20 weeks I think!) I had a scan which showed slight resistance from one of the arteries going into the uterus (I think!) so I was also put on aspirin at this point until 36 weeks. My LO is now 19months old and perfectly fine.