Sign in to follow this  
James

Selective IgM deficiency (SIgMD)

Last year I started to get problems with loss of sensation in my feet. I thought it was best to get it checked out because of concerns about reduced circulation with my DVT history and post thrombotic syndrome.

I had a CT scan and saw an MSK consultant (musculoskeletal), a physio, and then a neurologist. I was subsequently diagnosed with mild peripheral neuropathy. It isn't related to Protein S Deficiency. And there isn't much they can do about it.

Just to be sure, the neurologist then requested a wide range of blood tests, and one of the results came back with an odd result. There are three main antibody tests - IgM, IgG, IgA - and my Immunoglobulin M level came back as zero. The tests were repeated several months apart and still zero. Another test showed I had the building blocks for making it (free light chains) and that eliminated the possibility of other related health issues.

So I have been waiting for many months to speak to an immunologist to find out how this affects me, and any precautions I need to take. As you can imagine the doctors dealing with immunology are kind of busy right now.

Yesterday I was fortunate to have my telephone appointment with an immunologist. They said they don't have previous results to compare with but it appears to be 'normal' for me.

Some people without IgM have a tough time dealing with recurrent infections. In my case I am asymptomatic. I don't have IgM but my body still has IgG to fend off infections. This condition is called Selective IgM deficiency (SIgMD).

There is nothing to suggest this has anything to do with Protein S Deficiency, we all have other health issues, but hopefully it may inspire some of you to go and see a doctor if a relatively minor ailment is troubling you.