Thrombophilia screening

Guest mandspice

Guest mandspice

I was diagnosed with DVT in February this year. I was only on warfarin for 3 months. It has been classed as an "unexplained" DVT. I suffered a miscarriage a couple of years ago. Because of these two factors, I have been given an appointment for thrombophilia screening at the end of this month to rule out any underlying causes.

Anyone know what these might be?

Hi,

After my first DVT, which was also unexplained, I had what my doctor referred to as a thrombophilia screen. For me it consisted of having a blood test (they took four lots of blood from me, but when my sister had the same test at a different hospital they took a lot more). I had to wait about a month while they tested the blood and then go back to see the haematologist for the results.

When I saw her I was told that they had tested the blood for 4 different conditions all of which can make you more prone to clots, and I had what she referred to as the one she least expected which was PSD. She didn't expect it as I don't have a history of clots in the my close family.

I wish that I could have remember what else I was tested for, but I was a little shocked by the results and so the rest of the conversation is a bit of a blur.

As my sister had a different experience that me I think that different hospital screen in different way, but I hope that my experiences help.

Kay