Changing Medication for Surgery

Guest carterjigger

Guest carterjigger

Maybe someone can help or has dealt with this before. Im 25 years old and have PSD, im taking coumadin and have my INR under control. I do have severe carpal tunnel syndrome (very painful to be typing this) I went to the brain/nerve doctor and was told for sure thats what it is and I need surgery. I was told to stop taking coumadin altogether so they can do the surgery is this normal for surgery? any other way to go about it? I dont really want to have to start back up with the lovenox shots all over again. Every time someone with PSD has a form of surgery do they need to stop and start again?

Any advice is helpful.

Thank you,

Violet

Hello Violet, normal procedure if you have a blood clotting disorder and are on a permanent dose of wafarin sodium is to start LMWHeparin injections and to taper off the wafarin sodium. You will need to remain on the LMWHeparin injections till after the surgery.At which point the reverse has to be done,i.e. while on LMWHeparin, you re-start your course of wafarin sodium and only stop the LMWHeparin injections once yor INR is within proper range. You may want to consider acupuncture or other alternative forms of treatment before having surgery.

Guest carterjigger

Hi Zarin thanks for the reply. I have tried physical therapy and braces and niether has worked. I asked my doctor about acupuncture and he strongly discouraged it saying that it might feel better for a little while but the problem will come back again unless you have it permanetly fixed. When you say heparin injections is that the same thing as lovenox injections? Is that just the brand name? I have taken the shots before but was just hoping there was a way to get around it :)

Thank you,

Violet

I do believe Lovonox is a brand name. I have not used that brand so I dont know what sort of heparin it is. Normal heparin as opposed to LMWHeparin. I am guessing it is LMWHeparin, and sadly you will have to go back on the injections if you choose to have surgery, no way around it. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi Violet,

I am on coumadin for life as well, and a very high dose. I also use the shots every so often when my levels go down. I had to make the decision you are deciding on 2 wks ago. I broke a tooth off in my gum and had to have it cut out. In order to do this I needed to be put to sleep, failure of numbing properly in the passed. I stopped my coumadin and went on the shots. I will start my coumadin back as soon as my mouth heals and their are no signs of bleeding. I was scared but the pain of the tooth gave me the will to get through it. Bless of Luck to you!

bamas01woman

Guest venturaz

You may have all the answers you need by now, but I wanted to add my own experiences. I have had 6 surgeries in 3 years--the last one being just a week ago today. I never stopped taking Coumadin for any of them. I did, however, take a reduced dose (half of my normal dosage) one week prior to surgery and had my INR levels checked the morning of each surgery. Obviously, there is always a risk that the INR may be too high the day of surgery and it might need to be resheduled but this never happened to me. Good luck--whatever route you decide to go.