Pregnancy and Warfarin

Guest clairebear

Guest clairebear

Hi

My husbnd and I have decided to start trying to conceive our second child.

I do not have PSD, however I do take wafarin due to reoccuring DVT's and one PE. My haemotologist (sp)! has told me that I need to carry on taking warfarin until I discover I am pregnant, then change to heparin. Has anyone else taken warfarin whilst ttc? I am very concerned as I know there are risks involved with this. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Claire

Well I don't want to scare you but after I had my blood clot and they put me on coumadin they were so against me being pregnant that they actually put me on birth control while i was on the blood thinner's. They said it is very dangerous for the baby. It causes heart problems, birth defects, and sometimes miscarriage. So if I were you I would get a second opinion! Oh yeah they put me on the depo shot. There hasnt been any reports of blood clots yet with it. Well that is what they said! I am now currently pregnant and taking lovenox.

Guest clairebear

Thanks csamandarockwell

I already have one child who is 5 years old. She was not planned and I did not realise I ws pregnant until I was 8 weeks gone. Throughout that time I was taking warfarin. They put me on heparin straight away and told me I was lucky that there was nothing wrong with her. I am really worried about taking the warfarin, but the doc told me that I was at serious risk if I didn't take it. I think I will have to get a second opinion. You just hope that these doctor's know what they are talking about. I have actually been diagnosed with Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome, it only took 25 years to find that out!! Good luck with your pregnancy. Claire

:o rockwell !

I also can't understand why you haven't been given the injections when you are TTC. The Warfarin can be harmful for the unborn baby, and have long term effects. A second opinion may be the way to go.

When I was on Warfarin, my Dr couldn't stress enough to me of the dangers, implications,risks etc. if I were to fall pregnant.

Best of Luck :D

Guest clairebear

Hi

I spoke to another haemotologist at the hospital on Friday, and he said that what I had been told previously about taking warfarin whilst ttc was correct. I told him my concerns about harm to the baby but he insisted that it was the correct thing to do and the risk was very small compared to what another PE/DVT could do to me. He also suggested that I buy plenty of pregnancy tests and do them regularly! I have discussed it wiht hubby and he says we should do what they tell us, even though he is worried too! Fingers crossed. Claire

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I spoke to my haemotologist at the hospital yesterday on the same subject, I have been getting worried as a number of my friends are 'accidentally' pregnant. I was told the same, that as long as I come in as soon as possible after I find out I am pregnant everything will be OK. She also said that they don't put people on heparin while they are TTC as it could take a very long time.

I have been pregnant a total of 5 times. I have only carried one to full term and am now 18 1/2 weeks pregnant. My first pregnancy was twins and I was taking coumidan for PSD, unaware that I was pregnant until about 6 1/2 weeks. By 8 weeks I had miscarried one twin, I had the bleeding and cramping. By this time I had switched over to Lovenox injections but it was too late for my other twin. I lost this one at 16 1/2 weeks. After that I started the lovenox injections as soon as I started ttc. I miscarried two more times, both at 8 weeks. The other 3 losses there was no sigh of a miscarriage, my babies hearts had stopped. I am a strong believer of injections while ttc and getting your blood level check while pregnant (I usually have my tested every 3-4 weeks from a + hpt till about 36 weeks). During my last pregnancy I went from 40 mg twice a day at first to 80 mg twice a day starting at 10 weeks. With this pregnancy I started at 80 mg twice aday and am now at 100 mg twice a day. I'm a small framed person 5' 3" I started out weighing 126 with both pregnancies. Every one is amazed at how high my dose is.

Sorry this is so long.

Tamy

EDD 07/04/04, Cutter Daniel

06/19/02, Colton Jess

4 ~Angels~ 8/99, 11/99, 10/00, 01/01

Guest madison2021

hi im taking 7 mg of warfrin (for a serious dvt) a day and in a serious relationship

i cant use any type of birth control and that leaves only condoms which arent that safe

what happens if i got pregnant while taking warfrin

if im even one day late on period i take a test..but just wondering what the risks really are

how high is the chance for a miscarriage?

thanxs all

Guest clairebear

Hi

I fell pregnant 5 years ago whilst taking warfarin, I did not realise that I was pregnant until I was approx 8 weeks gone. As soon as I realised I was pregnant I went to Dr's straight away who sent me to hospital and I was put on fragmin injections. I was never told whilst taking warfarin to be careful not to become pregnant, maybe the dr's just presumed that I would know. Anyway I did not realise the serious of the situation until I had a scan at 16 weeks and the dr told me that the baby was fine, and the warfarin had not done any damage. I was shaken by this and asked him exactly what he meant. He then went on to tell me about all the effects that warfarin could have on a baby, facial deformities etc, and I was so upset because I did not have a clue. They changed me back onto warfarin during the second trimester of my prenancy, and then the third trimester I was back on the fragmin. I also took fragmin 3 months after the birth as I was breastfeeding.

My daughter is a very lively 5 year old and appears to have had no side effects from my warfarin taking during pregnancy. The only thing she has is a lazy eye which is being corrected with glasses and I am sure that that has nothing to do with the warfarin.

We are now ttc our second child. As you will see from my earlier posts I am worried as the dr's have told me to carry on taking the warfarin until I become pregnant. I just wanted to let you know that whilst warfarin can cause harm in some pregnancies, it did not in mine, for that I am very thankful. I have to put my trust in the Dr's as they hopefully now what they are talking about.

Love to your babies Tamy.

Madison, have you thought about the coil as a contraceptive. I had an IUD but it made my periods very heavy (because of the warfarin) but changed to the Mirena coil which was excellent.

Good luck to all ttc.

Claire

PS Sorry it's long.

Guest madison2021

:rolleyes: hi thanxs for ur info it was very helpful

well i have never heard of a coil contraceptive...sorry

tell me about it

i dont want to use an iud because i do get some bladder infections and if u do theres a chance the infection could go up the string and into uterus making u infertile so im not willing to take the chance...

so i guess if u find out early ur pregnant then ur ok

my bf and i have had some unprotected intercourse but he never came inside me but i guess there could be the chance i could get preg...i know that it was stupid but the moment hits lol

thanxs alot for ur reply

madison2021 :D

Guest madison2021

thanxs for the info...the iud would be ok otherwise..the infection thing scares me

but i could use this coil if it secretes an hormones...this is what gave me the blood clot...hormones from any birth control will give me another one

when u do have a baby do u have to have a c section or maybe u cant ...please tell me thanxs

My own experience, I have had 3 vaginal deliveries. Other people have had other experiences. If you search this forum you will see what choices other people have made.

Personally a c-section is my worst nightmare but there are situations in which this would be the best option for a mother and baby. There is a lot of information about pros and cons of c sections/epidural(spinal anasthesia) and anti-coagulants; a Google search will give you lots to go on.

HTH

Rachel

Guest clairebear

Madison, I had my first PE/DVT through being on the Contraceptive pill, so I know what you mean about having something with hormones. I also had this concern but I was told by the dr at family planning clinic that the amount of hormone in the Mirena is so small I would be ok. I also take warfarin and have been told it is perfectly safe with the Mirena.

I understand your concerns about infection, however if you defo do not want to get pregnant, it is the best thing. My hubby and I had unprotected sex once, and the result is a now a very lively five year old (who I love to bits of course), but once it all it takes ;)