Sign in to follow this  
James

Life Assurance Policies

Do you have a Life Assurance Policy?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a Life Assurance Policy?

• Yes - with exclusions
    • Yes - without exclusions
    • No - application turned down
    • No - not interested

Some of our forum members have experienced difficulties getting Life Assurance cover. This is an insurance policy that pays out when you die and is sometimes used to underwrite a loan or mortgage.

If you have Protein S Deficiency and are covered by a life assurance policy please can you help other members by providing a bit of information about your policy so that they could make enquiries for their own application. It would be helpful to include Country/State information as well as the contact details.

United Kingdom

Life Assurance without exclusions

Barclays Life Assurance Company Limited

Telephone: 0845 3011 901

Product Name: Mortgageguard Plus - sum assured decreasing over the full term, payable on death within the term. No critical illness cover. No cash in value.

My husband is military. He purchased the life insurance policy when we first got married 5 yrs ago. I was just diagnosed a yr ago. Do I even need to tell the insurance company? Would it matter since I was diagnosed after we purchased it?

United Kingdom

I have standard life and critical illness cover (no exclusions) with HSBC.

Although I have PSD, I think it helps that I had my DVT 5 years ago and haven't had any problems since and do not take any medication.

Guest Mikhaela

Hi,

I have just recently been diagnosed with PSD and I have had my life assurance policy for about 30 years. I haven't told them about this, so, I don't know if it will make a difference as I did not know about this at the time of purchase.

Mikhaela, Kitchener, Ont. Canada

I spoke to Aviva today about Life Insurance cover and they confirmed that they can offer cover to people with Protein S Deficiency but you may need to speak to an underwriter to discuss your recent medical history. I have put together a new web page about this topic at proteinsdeficiency.com/lifeassurance.php

My policy with Barclays (mentioned when I started this topic in 2004) was discontinued when I went back to rented accommodation for a while, whilst house hunting. Although I'd taken out a transferable policy at the time I spent a year renting, without a mortgage, so there was nothing to transfer it to.

At the moment I'm considering getting a policy for a small amount of money, say £20k, instead of something around ten times that amount, to cover funeral expenses and tide my wife over for a year or two. Just something to cushion the blow. I don't think it is necessary for me to pay a higher premium to give her a lottery-style income if I'm no longer around. You can get cover for £20k for between £5 and £10 a month.

As an update to my previous post we took out a joint policy with LV (Liverpool Victoria). I declared my health history and PSD and was given cover with an extra premium to pay. A ten year policy for £80k costs us £25.51 per month. This doesn’t pay off the mortgage but it ensures that after debts and funeral costs the amount left for the other person to pay would be affordable.